Here are ten things to think about way before you set off for the airport. Plus the diver airline hero’s and villains!
In response to previous requests, I have researched scheduled airlines & the no-frills ones as well as customs rules and can advise that:
- The name on your ticket MUST match the name on your passport EXACTLY or you will not be allowed to travel and/or your ticket may be deemed invalid without refund.
- A minimum of 6 months un-expired use must be left in your passport in order to guarantee passage through customs.
- If you damage your passport in any way, i.e. spill water on some pages etc etc, then you are strongly advised to change it for a new one – because it is likely you will not be allowed to travel.
- If you are on prescribed medication please take your prescription or letter from your GP with you, as you may be quizzed about the drugs.
- If you wish to visit SUDAN (and certain other muslim countries) – ensure that you have not had your passport stamped showing a visit to ISRAEL, otherwise you will be refused entry.
- Countries that operate under SHARIA law (including Sudan), do not tolerate alcohol of any kind
- Infants UNDER TWO years of age – can fly free if they sit on their parents laps. All airlines charge an administration fee for babies/infants under two regardless, charges vary depending on airline.
- Infants OVER TWO years of age – travel at FULL adult fare.
- NO CHANGES WHATSOEVER, are allowed on Economy seat tickets on SCHEDULED airlines unless the appropriate fee is paid at the time of booking (usually about ｣50 extra).
- CHANGES CAN BE MADE on non-scheduled services, providing the relevant administration fee is paid.
Airline hero’s and villains.
Here are a list of airlines that are DIVER FRIENDLY, i.e. give extra baggage allowance for divers, or who are unofficially generous with the allowance. The positive list of airlines IS GROWING so the petition list is bearing some fruit.
- ASTRAES AIRLINES
- BRITISH AIRWAYS
- AIR MALTA
- EXCEL AIRLINES
- AIR JAMAICA
- MALAYSIA AIRLINES
- AMERICAN AIRLINES
- VIRGIN ATLANTIC
- AIR NEW ZEALAND
and these airlines are NOT diver friendly, i.e. you will get stung for excess baggage:
- BABY BMI
- FIRST CHOICE
- THOMPSON FLY
any other airlines – always ask!
This information was correct at time of writing