Spider Crab Fish Cakes
OK — this is the time of year for Spider Crabs — but you don’t see them in our fishmarkets or even Sainsbury’s or Tescos — but you will see them in French markets and supermarkets — more so than normal edible crabs.
The legs are where all the meat is – and if you’ve been diving recently, especially around Portland and Weymouth — you will know that there are some monsters around! – They are well easy to catch — so here’s an easy recipe for you to match anything Dunster can do !
Enough for : 6/8 People
* 10 Pints of Stella
* 500g spider crab meat (from the Claws)
* 75g breadcrumbs – toasted
* 50g almonds – finely chopped and lightly toasted
* 2 tablespoon fresh parsley
* 6 French beans – finely chopped
* 2 onions finely chopped and fried
* 4 tablespoon mayonnaise
* 1 egg yolk
* ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper
* 1 teaspoon paprika
* 1 lemon – zest and ½ juice
* Groundnut oil
1. Drink 1 pint of Stella
2. Mix crab meat, breadcrumbs, nuts, parsley, French beans, salt, pepper and onions in a bowl.
3. In another bowl mix mayonnaise, egg yolk, cayenne pepper, paprika, zest and juice of lime and pepper. Beat well before pouring into crab mixture.
4. Shape into cakes 2-3 inches in diameter.
5. Heat 2-3 tablespoon of groundnut oil in frying pan.
6. Fry cakes in the oil until they turn a golden colour in about 4-5 mins.
7. Serve with a wedge of lemon.
8. Drink remaining 9 pints of Stella.